Pics of my F308 eldegas acoustic

Talk about and show off your El Degas instruments here.
Chuck

Pics of my F308 eldegas acoustic

Post by Chuck »

Here are some pictures of my el degas. I bought this guitar new around 1972 or '73.
I also wrote about it in 'Harmony Central' http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar a few years ago. Just look under el degas and the F-308 review. It is too long to copy here. The tuning pegs have been replaced and aren't gold plated anymore, will have to look into getting them replaced with a gold plated set. I have also done a little research about el degas since I wrote that article and now know a little more about them, but this site seems to be the best place to gain that knowledge.
Last edited by Chuck on Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
charles
Site Admin

Re: Pics of my F308 eldegas acoustic

Post by charles »

Beauty. :D
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)
Barry

Post by Barry »

Hi Chuck. What an outstanding guitar!! I'm envious. :mrgreen:
I bought my "Dove" model about 1975, and like you, used it and mildly abused it, for years as a classroom teacher. And it spent its life in and out of closets, and cars in Canadian winter, with only a cardboard case to protect it. It still looks amazing, a testament to the build quality of these Made in Japan instruments!

Hey Charles, looks like another anomaly here, eh? This is obviously a copy of a Gibson J200 jumbo, but it's Modelo reads "F" for Fender. Also, no Made in Japan on the label, just that ubiquitous sticker on the back of the headstock. Looks like they just put any 'ole label in that they had handy! :|
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

I knew you'd come in and pose that question, Barry :D I figured I'd stew on my theory until you did - gives us all more to read and chat about :lol:

My thought is that perhaps, if this is indeed an somewhat early model El Degas, the model # anomaly might be due to the company or manufacturer changing to the more standardized model numbering system of using GB for Gibby copies after this guitar was produced. Seems plausible, but taken completely out of thin air. :wink: I've seen many acoustics without any "Made in..." verbiage on the sound hole label. Can't be sure, but it seems plausible to me that it might be a 'feature' of the earlier models, as well.
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

Barry

Post by Barry »

Bizarre bloody marketing, eh?
Makes me cynical enough to think that ED was purposely never imagined to be around for more than the next shipment.
Sticker? Oh yeah, here's one. Just slap it inside to make it look professional! :roll:

There's no denying the build quality though. Wow! This is just gorgeous!
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

I think a lot of the imported copies of the day were ordered & distributed rather hastily... what they were doing wasn't exactly kosher. I can forgive the lack of clarity and direction for a few really spankin' good guitars 8) (and its fair share of not so spankin' good... you just have to know the difference :lol: )

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

I apologize for any inconvenience if anyone was looking for my review at 'Harmony Central' site and couldn't find it. I just went there myself and realized there are two 'El Degas' places you can click on. The first one gives you only two guitar's. The second is four down from the first and looks like this...'El-Degas', with a hyphen between. You can find my F-308 review there. I had one heck of a time trying to find it this last while :oops:
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Hi guys, has been a while. I just wanted to say I was looking through the forum and checked out one of your U tube video's Barry. Nice cover for 'Stand By Me'. I do that one also.
I have just put an offer in for an El Degas MT-8. Hoping they get back to me soon. I'll supply pics if I get it. I also just recently bought an Epiphone 339 PRO natural. I love it. I've also bought a 'Maya' acoustic from around the early 70's a couple of years ago. It has a made by takamine label on it but I can't get any other info on it. Its a small guitar with a big sound. I'll send pics of it too when possible. I'll be back.
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

If you get the MT-8, definitely start a new thread and show it off. Best of luck! :D