El Degas 769 Restoration

Talk about and show off your El Degas instruments here.
Kevin

El Degas 769 Restoration

Post by Kevin »

My dad bought me a used el degas when i was about 12 years old. It had some damage but a nice guitar; played it until university, then got busy with job, kids, etc. Now the kids are kind of semi-autonomous my attention focused back on the toys. So i got myself another motorbike, and then dug out my guitar from storage. It was the exact same as i left it: match stick that was 'holding' a tuner post on a gear that was loose, Fret buz on b flat on the high e string, pieces of the headstock cracked and fallen off, beer bottle caps still in the case haha. All of this stuff was like that when i got it too (except the bottle caps).

The repairs began last fall, i know this guitar isn't worth much to others, and i could easily buy a very decent guitar with what i've put into it, but to me it is worth a lot because of the memories and the feeling i get when i play it. A luthier refretted it, replaced the gears and saddles, but there was an accident and the guitar was damaged on the front so the whole thing got refinished and the cracks and missing pieces of headstock too (gratis except for parts i might add). Problem was the toggle got broke and he sent it off to another place to install the switch. Well they botched the new toggle (miswired rats nest). After realizing there was no hope with the electronics guy, i decided to rewire the entire guitar myself and made a faraday cage to get rid of the interference. Now there is a gibson switchcraft jammed in where the old toggle used to be, and it plays as beautifully as the day i got it. The pickups aren't hot, but i like the tone you can get out of it. I play it as much as my Strat.

If anyone know where i can get a stock toggle switch for cheap? I'll give the luthier his switchcraft back...lol

Here are the photos, enjoy!
http://s1024.photobucket.com/user/kmsni ... gas%20769W
charles
Site Admin

Re: El Degas 769 Restoration

Post by charles »

It warms my heart to see this guitar brought back to life. :mrgreen: Nice!

Not sure where to point you on the toggle switch. I used to go to guitar parts resource, back in the day.
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)
Barry

Re: El Degas 769 Restoration

Post by Barry »

Hi Kevin,
Yeah good to see this ole gal rocking again, you've done a good job on the resto.

As for the toggle switch, the original part was metric and I expect that the mounting hole had to be enlarged to accommodate the Switchcraft. Replacing it with a smaller diameter thread would make for an unsatisfactory fit. You would have the same problem replacing the pots which have smaller diameter shafts.

Switchcraft is a good quality part (if maybe a tad too long?). I'd leave it, but if you want something close to the original part you can look on the sites specializing in Made in Japan guitar parts. They won't be cheap!