GB 25 Dove Acoustic

Talk about and show off your El Degas instruments here.
chucksurette

GB 25 Dove Acoustic

Post by chucksurette »

Hi Guys,
Longtime lurker, first-time poster. I recently picked up this nice GB-25 Dove in a lot of parts guitars. It was in good shape, just missing the saddle and some tuners. I fit a full height saddle with the adjustment screws bottomed out and the action fell in really nice @ 3 or 4/32 on the low E. Only thing missing now is the pickguard and it looks good to me, as is. Not sure if the ones on Ebay for Epiphones are exactly the same shape? Any idea?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFUhk1TSCpz ... itarstache
https://www.instagram.com/p/BFiImkayCq1 ... itarstache

charles
Site Admin

Re: GB 25 Dove Acoustic

Post by charles »

I'm not sure if the Epi pickguard will fit but it might be worth a try!

You're right, though - it does look great without.
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)
chucksurette

Post by chucksurette »

Thanks Charles!
Barry

Post by Barry »

Hi Chuck and congrats on getting one of the nicest ED acoustic models (IMHO). I bought mine new about 1975 and I just love it.

The only knock against the design is that adjustable metal bridge which is a major tone sucker. After many many years of using it I finally took it out and replaced it with a full sized Tusq saddle and the change has been astounding! It's a simple change and does no damage. If you're interested you can read about it here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1802&p=5122

As for the pick guard, it's likely an Epi will be a near enough match. At worst you might need to adjust the curve at the sound hole which can be done with a bit of patience and care .There also seems to be a lot of variation in the design. They all have a Dove but there are many differences in the background and even the bird, so you might want to check the design against the picture of mine in the above link if you desire to get as close to the original ED as possible.

From what I understand the genuine Gibson scratch plate is not available for purchase and not even the Epi is the same design. Everything is an approximation o f the original. Just choose the one you prefer. :wink:
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Hey Chuck, beautiful instrument. An acoustic ED is on my hit list. I used to see acoustic ones all the time in town before I became interested in them, and now that I am they are AWOL. Oh well, treasure yours!

Anyways, in the event you are potentially interested in a custom pick guard, Terrapin Guitars does a wonderful job making custom and model specific pick guards. I've had them do a few for me, and always perfect. All you'd need to do is measure the sound hole and send in the measurement. A little bit expensive but nothing terrible.

http://www.terrapinguitars.com/index2_p ... ticContent
chucksurette

Post by chucksurette »

Thanks Fuzzy!
FYI - Everything guitar I own is available... I'm outside London ON if you'd like to check it out.

I will have a look at Terrapin, thanks for the link. Oddball guitars seem to follow me home like stray dogs...

Found a similar pickguard, priced right, locally and may go that route, as guitar will be sale soon.

Stay tuned,

Chuck Surette

@Guitarstache on Instagram
chucksurette

Post by chucksurette »

FYI- Guitar is listed in for sale section.
chucksurette

Post by chucksurette »

FYI- Someone in Woodstock ON, got themselves a very nice GB-25!

The guitar has SOLD. :D