New user. Can you help me identify this LP?

Talk about and show off your El Degas instruments here.
spaceman

New user. Can you help me identify this LP?

Post by spaceman »

Good afternoon, everyone! I had the joy of receiving this kingly gift from my father yesterday. It plays like a dream, is wonderfully weathered, and sounds fantastic. Can any of you tell me more about it? I'm most interested in the possible year it was made. Thank you!
charles
Site Admin

Re: New user. Can you help me identify this LP?

Post by charles »

Looks like you've got yourself a very nice early MIJ (Made in Japan) Les Paul copy. I say this because of the rounded end of the fretboard where the neck meets the body - this is on the very early MIJ copies and was replaced by a more "correct" squared end, a bit later on.

Giving you an exact year is not possible, but it's generally believed these very early models are from the very early 70s (some talk is of the very late 60s as a possibility for the date range on these early ones, as well).
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)
spaceman

Post by spaceman »

So exciting! I'm really looking forward to getting to know this guitar better.

One more question...
The low E notch in the nut is quite wide, and the pots are pretty scratchy. What's the best way to go about making repairs (I'm guessing the answer is NOT to take it to Guitar Center to have it worked on)? Is it even a good idea to do things like replace the pots?
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

You could start by trying contact cleaner to see if that gets rid of the scratchiness in the pots, but if it persists you will probably need new pots.

You might wish to consider a new nut if the one you have is not stable. Putting in something like a bone nut will probably make a positive change to the sound and sustain.

For those things, a decent tech at a place like Guitar Centre ought to be able to handle it.
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)
Barry

Post by Barry »

Congrats, looks like you have a good 'un there!

Contact cleaner will usually clear up most "scratchiness" in pots and switches. If you haven't done it before, you just spray into the inside of the pot which means simply removing the cover on the back to get at the guts. Do not attempt to spray from the outside (knob side). Insert the plastic tube into the little rectangular opening and make several liberal squirts vigorously working the shaft as far as it goes both ways.

That nut does not look to be original to me. I suspect that whoever replaced it did not file the E notch correctly, the other string notches appear OK. I would suggest then If the string action is also OK, filling in the notch and re-filing it. You can do it yourself or have a tech do it. It involves using "super glue" and baking soda, Have a look online for more info.

edit:
• I just had another look at this on my big monitor...those saddles also appear to be new. That would tend to confirm my perception of the nut. Likely they were replaced together. I'd also prefer to see the saddles' chamfered side facing the rear rather than the front.

• And, I take back my earlier comment about the remaining string guides, the treble strings are too deep. Overall the replacement nut height was probably too high and should have been sanded down. Strings should nestle comfortably in the slot without being buried.