El Degas mt7 acoustic???? -solid top or not???-woods used etc

Talk about and show off your El Degas instruments here.
androceles777

El Degas mt7 acoustic???? -solid top or not???-woods used etc

Post by androceles777 »

El Degas mt7 acoustic ....made in korea not an mij...will need to make photobucket account i think? to put the picture of it here,
Can someone/anyone please tell me,not finding any info anywhere......
is it a solid top or not; and wood type/s?
Also is neck adjustable if need be etc.

Because someone has 1 for sale; but is an hour away from me,
Are my hopes of a well built good/great sounding guitar ....(hopefullywith nice getting hard to find wood)-and possibly solid top unfounded???
I have no car but they will bring it for 75 dollars,wouldnt want them to bring it then not want it,I know no one can decide that but knowing more about the woods,solid or no etc. would help me decide...if worth the risk?

if there is a better area in the forum where this would likley get a reply with info,could someone move it there or tell me what/where to do...thanks
charles
Site Admin

Re: El Degas mt7 acoustic???? -solid top or not???-woods used etc

Post by charles »

There are photo posting tutorial threads stickied at the top of each and every forum. Here is a link to one of them:
http://www.eldegas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45

The spruce top is probably solid on the one you are looking at, but I cannot confirm that.

If this is like most MT- models I have seen, it will have a spruce top and rosewood sides & back, but there's no way to confirm this unless I see the guitar.

Bear in mind that the guitar is 30-40 years old so you simply will not know how well its condition and construction has held up, how it feels and plays, and how it sounds until you do an in-hand inspection. As with all online sales, it's buyer beware. Hope it all works out for you.
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)
androceles777

Post by androceles777 »

hanks for reply...here is a link with picture...spruce you think?.maybe solid? http://limaohio.craigslist.org/msg/5940113312.html
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

That top looks a lot more like mahogany to me.
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)
androceles777

Post by androceles777 »

yes thats what i was thinking,it looks alot like one i since found posted here by 'thornbush' im not really savvy on forums or places like this,im going to try and see if theres a way to contact user 'thornbush' and ask him if he can look inside and see if its solid or no,i know mahogony is a different sound when used on top for soundboard as well...since i believe he has 2 mt7,or perhaps you could direct him to me? thank you for your time
androceles777

Post by androceles777 »

ok charles so i found out how and pm'd 'thornbush' but he hasnt been active for ahwile,so heres hopeing,thanks again
Barry

Post by Barry »

Hard to tell from one photo but it does appear to have a mahogany top, and a nice quality one at that.
I would not let that stop you from buying unless you prefer spruce, Mahogany can give the guitar a very sweet mellow tone.

Solid tops are preferable on most guitars but there are laminates which sound very good too. A lot of other factors determine the sound so it's always best to play it and hear it. Good luck! :D