MT15R 12-String Acoustic Guitar

Talk about and show off your El Degas instruments here.
stremblay4

MT15R 12-String Acoustic Guitar

Post by stremblay4 »

Hi all,

Long story short, a friend of mine gave me this El Dégas 12-String guitar. She's been holding to it for a long time. It was her brother's before he passed away. It seams to be in very good condition. The frets don't even show any signs of wear. There's a sticker on the back of the head that shows it was purchased at a school. So her brother probably didn't play that much.

The model is MT15R. From what I could gather from this forum, MT is for Martin clone.
- Is R for rosewood?
- Does anybody have an idea around what years this model was produced?
- The guitar is missing one pin, one has a black dot and the other ones are white. Which one would be the original?

There is another post about a MT15 here but no pictures were ever posted. So here you are :).

Full gallery here.

charles
Site Admin

Re: MT15R 12-String Acoustic Guitar

Post by charles »

The MT prefix does denote this model as a Martin copy.
I figure you are right that the R likely does stand for Rosewood. The back & sides of the body may be rosewood, or perhaps they had/planned different models in regards to the wood on the fingerboard.

You can safely replace any or all of the pins - in my experience they are usually pretty cheap plastic ones so there are better options out there. I would expect the plain (no dot) ones are the originals but I'm not 100% on that.
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)