1971(?) el degas

Talk about and show off your El Degas instruments here.
Wootang

1971(?) el degas

Post by Wootang »

Recently offered to me:

Advertised as 1971.

It’s a solid mahogany body
Set neck
It’s been refinished
Duncan antiquated bridge
P90 neck
Refretted rosewood
Has some American parts on it.

Could it/is it a 1971?

Please comment on info/price info
Thanks

charles
Site Admin

Re: 1971(?) el degas

Post by charles »

Because so much has been done to the guitar I can't really make an educated guess on much about the guitar.

Regardless, no info exists on the brand to make such a specific guess on the manufacturing date but if the seller is the original owner they would likely know what year they bought it in.

I have 2 El Degas LP Juniors so I imagine this would be consistent with those, with having a mahogany pancake body (not sure if the "centre stripe" is also mahogany). I'm not certain if it's manufactured in Japan or Korea - the original truss rod covers are three-screw which implies Korea. Either way, I think they are fantastic.
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)
Wootang

Post by Wootang »

He is not original owner. However, he did the work.

Are you talking about yours? Or this one? This one appears to have the open book style headstock and looks to be two screw truss rod cover. These would suggest mij, right?
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

I suspect the truss rod cover here has been replaced.

Mine have the open-book headstock. I have only seen LP Juniors like mine so I think this should be pretty much the exact same as mine in contruction and specs except for all the nice refinish work put into it (and the bridge pickup replaced with a humbucker - originally this would have had 2 P90s)
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)
Barry

Post by Barry »

Very kewl little axe!

Pity the P90 was removed from the bridge. That dramatically changes the tone and the character of the original design (not kewl) :(