New Acquisition El Degas GB84

Talk about and show off your El Degas instruments here.
thornbush

New Acquisition El Degas GB84

Post by thornbush »

Well it came today....I still have to clean it up and put new strings on, maybe lower the action some. Sand the saddle and lower the bridge should do it....not that it's that high, I just like em low, just shy of buzzing. But it's gorgeous......Here it is....all the way from Nova Scotia, only $38 by Purolator to Winnipeg.

This brings the collection to eight...maybe take a break from searching for a while..............yeah right!
Last edited by thornbush on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charles
Site Admin

Re: El Degas GB84

Post by charles »

Very nice!
I'm surprised it does not have the inlaid logo.
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)
thornbush

Re: New Acquisition El Degas GB84

Post by thornbush »

Don't only the Japanese ones have the inlays.....All my Japan ones have inlay, Korean ones not.
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

Yes, some MIJ have inlaid logos. I guess I just assumed this GB-84 was MIJ! Is it not?

Actually, some MIK have inlaid logos, too - but the logo design is different.
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

thornbush

Post by thornbush »

To tell the truth, I assumed this one was Korean bcause it didn't have the inlay and also becuase the serial number isn't a long number...it is simply the number 2. If it doesn't say Japan or korea, I'm not sure which country they're from....
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

thornbush wrote:To tell the truth, I assumed this one was Korean bcause it didn't have the inlay and also becuase the serial number isn't a long number...it is simply the number 2. If it doesn't say Japan or korea, I'm not sure which country they're from....
To tell the truth, I'm not sure whether this one is MIJ or MIK. I don't think I've seen a Korean-made J-200 copy, but I could be wrong.

EDIT: Upon closer inspection, your J-200 copy's logo does appear to be a MIK one (the slant on the e and rounder letters).

Barry

Post by Barry »

thornbush wrote:Don't only the Japanese ones have the inlays.....All my Japan ones have inlay, Korean ones not.
I think that's right. Too bad, she is a beauty though!
I'm writing this from the shop and there's a Gibson J100 hanging on the wall behind me. It's rather plain compared to this one. It's a somewhat unusual bubinga back and sides, and no inlays in the "moustache" bridge, just open. Dot position markers only...and no pick guard! It's used, but mint and carries a sticker price of $1700 w/HSC!
So you got a deal my friend! :mrgreen:
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

My MIK SG copy (set neck, 61 SG copy) has an inlaid logo, but it's a different logo style than the MIJs.

thornbush

Post by thornbush »

Can you post a pic of that logo Charles?
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

Some quick snaps:

Inlay '61 SG copy set neck
<hr>
Inlay Les Paul Standard copy set neck
<hr>
Decal ES-335 copy set neck

thornbush

Post by thornbush »

Thanks Charles, I've learned a lot from this posting........and from your site overall....It's quite a commitment you've takin on here. You deserve a lot of credit for ALL of this. You've helped all of us El Degas lovers immensely........and, hopefully, will continue to.
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

I'm very happy to do it. I fell hard for the brand way back in 1999 or so when I got my first El Degas bass, so I wanted to help others who would find, as I did, there was almost zero info online about these instruments. We still have very little concrete info on the brand, but it's great to have been able to help foster a nice little community of enthusiasts. :D A lot of credit has to go to all of you folks that have posted your great questions, stories and photos, too!

Stay tuned over the next several months... now that my music room is completed I have all my El Degas instruments out of their cases again and ready for some major photo/info threads. There are some acquisitions that I've yet to show everyone!

thornbush

Post by thornbush »

Looking forward to seeing them.
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

I would start this weekend, but the inlaws are in town...

LastChancers

Post by LastChancers »

charles wrote:
thornbush wrote:To tell the truth, I assumed this one was Korean bcause it didn't have the inlay and also becuase the serial number isn't a long number...it is simply the number 2. If it doesn't say Japan or korea, I'm not sure which country they're from....
To tell the truth, I'm not sure whether this one is MIJ or MIK. I don't think I've seen a Korean-made J-200 copy, but I could be wrong.

EDIT: Upon closer inspection, your J-200 copy's logo does appear to be a MIK one (the slant on the e and rounder letters).

I have the exact same guitar - GB84 with serial no.2 on the inside label. The logo is also the same with the slanted e. Bought it from another guitarist years ago. There is a rectangular sticker on the back of the heads
tock in gold font on a black background with a gold border. It states in capital letters MADE IN JAPAN

So I assumed it was. Could this is be just some sticker the guitar company slaps on or would this have come out of the factories with the sticker like that on the back of the headstock?