1st Post / My MT-18

Open discussion on anything - guitar mods, the weather, guitar links, parts ... just keep it clean!
sweettone

1st Post / My MT-18

Post by sweettone »

Greetings. Just found this forum.
I have owned my el Degas MT-18 since 1977. I traded it with a friend for some camera gear. I have often looked at other guitars over the years but have never found one that sounds as pure and sweet a tone.

Any info on this model would be appreciated. B&J / MT-18 / serial number 4100086

I am looking at a MT-5 12 string I found listed. If it has the same sweet tones I will purchase.
charles
Site Admin

Re: 1st Post / My MT-18

Post by charles »

That is a beautiful guitar. Thanks for sharing!
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)
sweettone

Post by sweettone »

After reading some posts can I presume this was possibly made in Japan due to the inlaid logo?

Any idea what model Martin this a copy of?
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

You are correct - MIJ model. Not too certain on the particular Martin this may have been emulating. It's been tough to track that down and find out whether these emulate specific 70s Martin models or a general Martin aesthetic (and honestly I have not done sufficient research to know for sure :oops: ).
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

sweettone

Post by sweettone »

What about the quality between the MIJ models and MIK., Are the made in japan consider to be of higher quality ?

I am looking at a MIK MT-5 12 string. Would there be MT-5's that were made in Japan?
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

I consider most of the MIJ models to be of better quality than the MIKs, but it's all in how the guitar sounds and plays. I have seen both gems and lemons, in both the MIJ and MIK models!

Barry

Post by Barry »

Gorgeous build, top quality woods. Hard to find anything comparable today for reasonable money.
Hang on to her!
fess99

Post by fess99 »

I have almost the identical guitar it shows a model number MT 18 MK. Serial number 4060029. It is mint! I wonder what it is worth. Beautiful look and tone. As nice as my 73 Takamine. Not sure how to post a picture.
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

fess99 wrote:I have almost the identical guitar it shows a model number MT 18 MK. Serial number 4060029. It is mint! I wonder what it is worth. Beautiful look and tone. As nice as my 73 Takamine. Not sure how to post a picture.
I'd recommend you consult this thread re: photos (http://www.eldegas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45) and start a new thread under "El Degas Show & Tell" for your guitar.

embop

Post by embop »

i have this exact guitar model 4090021. my dad got it at a garage sale 20 years ago for $20. its what got me and my brothers started. i will keep it forever as it still holds a beautiful sound and it has great sentimental value to me, but I am curious what its worth (ball park) i can't figure out how to post pics on the show and tell and i'm not needing an exact number. i am just curious of the price range (ish)
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

embop wrote:i have this exact guitar model 4090021. my dad got it at a garage sale 20 years ago for $20. its what got me and my brothers started. i will keep it forever as it still holds a beautiful sound and it has great sentimental value to me, but I am curious what its worth (ball park) i can't figure out how to post pics on the show and tell and i'm not needing an exact number. i am just curious of the price range (ish)
There's a very wide possible price range.

MT- models seem to usually list on the internet anywhere from $100-500 depending on the condition of the instrument, country of manufacture, and the level of motivation of the buyer. Many models sell for $150-250, but some may sell for more (particularly some of the more 'deluxe' 70's Japanese models with better fit & finish, which may sell for $200-500).

Your mileage may vary.

tonewave

Post by tonewave »

I just found one of these while visiting Vancouver, on craigslist
It's a little beat up and the bridge has been shaved a bit, but wow it sounds so good
the more I play it the more it comes alive, can't wait to get it set up properly
I fully intended to leave it in Van so I'll have a guitar when I go back next (have family there)
but it was too damn good to leave there, so I brought it back home with me
I think it might be my best gig-able dreadnaught
I had never heard of El Degas before

one guy who saw it over there said it was a D45 copy mostly, but with the 3 piece back of the D35

question, what string gauge you guys using on your MT-18s?
I have 12's on it now, but I have a feeling 13's might make it really sing
anyone using 13's?
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

Actually, I don't remember what gauge I have on my MT-... I should probably change my strings more often :wink:
I don't like messing around with adjusting truss rods and shaving bridges & nuts so I tend to not stray too far in my string gauges if I can help it, though I do like a heavier gauge of string, generally.

Barry

Post by Barry »

We used to sell Martin in the shop and most of them came strung with 13's. The guitar seemed to prefer it in most cases, but it isn't mandatory.

13's certainly generate more energy to the sound board and create more volume and the difference will be minimal. They'll simply feel "fatter" under the fingers on a well made guitar. On most production guitars, 12's are more comfortable and are the standard for most folks.

Increasing (or dropping) gauges usually will also require a truss rod tweak to compensate for the changing tension. :wink: