Is a MT4 a decent El Degas?

Open discussion on anything - guitar mods, the weather, guitar links, parts ... just keep it clean!
fuzzy

Is a MT4 a decent El Degas?

Post by fuzzy »

Hey guys, how you all doing? I have the opportunity to get a MT4 acoustic for real cheap. Reeeeaaal cheap. Well, as cheap as they come... :D

Anyway, I was curious if the MT4 is a decent guitar. The only reason I ask (who doesn't love a cheap guitar?!) is because I can't see or touch it first, and it will take bit of effort to get it to my doorstep as it is ten hours away from me. I can arrange to have my Pepsi delivery buddy pick it up for me, but if the MT4's are not that great of guitar, I may not go the extra mile to get it.

According to the owner, it needs quite a bit of love and work, but it is in decent enough shape to give it the chance to play again. But I know nothing of the guitar so I'd like some input, if available.

Thanks guys!
charles
Site Admin

Re: Is a MT4 a decent El Degas?

Post by charles »

The guitar is approx 30-40 years old, so you just never know... could be a great player or it could be a lemon! If you're getting it really cheap and you don't like it, you can always flip it :wink:

Without seeing photos I'm not sure whether you are looking at a MIJ or a MIK model, thought like I said... could always be a player or a lemon.
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)
Barry

Post by Barry »

Hi Fuzzy. According to one of our members who used to sell El Degas MT's back in the day, "MT" represented the Martin replica models ranging from M2 to M19. The MT4 would have been an entry level version.

That's not to say it was a poor instrument, only that it was a bare bones version. But as Charles said there is often quite a difference between the quality of the MIJ and MIK builds. We really need pictures to make a proper assessment.
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Thanks guys. Think I may give it a shot and arrange to get it. I wasn't sure what copy design it was. I think the fact its a Martin copy sold me; have a soft spot for Martins. Good to know how those designations work.

We'll see what shape it is in if I manage to grab it. I'll post some pictures as soon as I can, when I can. Hopefully another ED to add to my collection!