Matsumoku / Greco / el Degas Connection?

Open discussion on anything - guitar mods, the weather, guitar links, parts ... just keep it clean!
Barry

Matsumoku / Greco / el Degas Connection?

Post by Barry »

I recently discovered an old folder of pictures and information on my laptop, of a 1974 Westone Model F-13 acoustic guitar which I have since posted to the WestoneGuitars.net web site: http://www.westoneguitars.net/guitars/f-13-acoustic/.

In that package the seller made a comment about a connection between Matsumoku and Greco which I found interesting:
Matsumoku: The Company made vintage Greco Electric Guitars for Kanda Shokai, MIJ Epiphone Guitars and Aria Pro II Guitars. If you are a Greco Fun (sic) this should be a nice one to your collection from Greco Kanda Shokai which sold this Weston (sic)
It's uncorroborated information but it occurred to me that we have identified at least one ED model which appears to be a Greco design. If this is correct, then the actual manufacturer would have been Matsumoku, as long suspected. This also lends some support for Mats being at least one of the makers of many of the other solid body ED models, the Les Pauls in particular.

Two other interesting things came from the description.
  • The serial number on this guitar was 1974011 which the seller interpreted as a 1974 build (first 4 numbers). Sounds like it might be correct, and if so, we might have a tool to interpret some of the MIJ ED serial numbers
  • The wood used on the body and sides is identified as Nyatoh a new one on me. It appears to be a tight grained wood somewhere between a Mahogany and a Rosewood. This might be what is seen on many of the acoustic ED guitars and not "mahogany"
fuzzy

Re: Matsumoku / Greco / el Degas Connection?

Post by fuzzy »

So if your suspicions are correct, there is potential for the manufacturer of some EDs to be the same as older Epis....

Intriguing. I have a mid eighties Epi Les Paul. Chances as slim as they are, wouldn't it be neat if the stars aligned and it was made by the same folks who made my ED SG? A pipe dream, indeed, but certainly a nice one. Of course, my SG is MIK so that would never be possible but just the idea of that possibility of having an ED and an Epi made by the same folks is cool enough.

Oh, I just love a good mystery. :)
Barry

Re: Matsumoku / Greco / el Degas Connection?

Post by Barry »

Oh yeah, when it comes to el Degas it's How to Get Away With Murder / Sherlock Holmes and Magical Mystery Tour, all wrapped up in a big question mark.

I've been involved with Matsumoku built guitars and Westone in particular for many years now and I am constantly amazed at how diversified their output was. And of course what amazing quality they brought to market under a a long list of labels, including at some point, Epiphone.