interesting item at local thrift shop auction

Open discussion on anything - guitar mods, the weather, guitar links, parts ... just keep it clean!
aallen

Re: interesting item at local thrift shop auction

Post by aallen »

Yes. They are snot green and they are garbage. I tuned and stretched and tuned and stretched forever but still it slipped. John did the same. They are just cheap strings but still they should settle down. It must be the tuners at fault.

When I get the guitar back in my hands I'll remove a tuner and measure. I'm in no hurry.

Barry, so what makes you think I play an aggressive style? Could it be my profile pic? LOL. Truth be told I am not a lead player, so very little string bending, but I do play hard.

Thanks guys.
Barry

Re: interesting item at local thrift shop auction

Post by Barry »

:lol: Just a hunch!

In cases of string instability I usually suggest folks pay attention to the top nut which "clamps" the unit to the head stock, and small screw at the end of the button which snugs up the winder to the gear. Unfortunately, this advice does not apply to a Kluson assembly which has neither of these items and is simply screwed to the back of the head stock. All you can do is check that those screws are solid.

Genuine Klusons should remain stable, they have a long performance legacy, but the clones can often be hit and miss.
I recently replaced the machine heads on a '56 RI Danelectro with a set of Chinese Kluson-style tuners. They were inexpensive (and really snotty looking) and I crossed my fingers. But so far they're solid and working well. So, sometimes all it takes is a new set of gears. They do wear down over the years.

For best results, especially if you're hard on the strings, I again recommend a set of locking tuners. Your choice, they're all good and will be light years ahead of your originals.