Saddle type

Open discussion on anything - guitar mods, the weather, guitar links, parts ... just keep it clean!
Mattgreathouse

Saddle type

Post by Mattgreathouse »

I have a model F170 that I picked up for $5 off Facebook, not really knowing what it was other than it has some age to it so figured why not add to the collection. It has definitely seen better days it had the worse bellying I’ve ever seen without the bridge actually coming off, which I was able to fix with bridge doctor but I need to make a new saddle for it. It’s the first guitar I e had with an adjustable saddle with the screws on the side. The existing saddle is bad off and chipped and to short for the slot. I would also bank it’s not the original. Does anyone know what the original saddle from the factory was or looked like. Compensated or not, so I can know how to shape the one I’m gonna make. Thanks
Barry

Re: Saddle type

Post by Barry »

Congratulations on getting a bargain (belly and all!).

If the saddle is like what mine was (GB25 Dove) it is a very thin, non-compensated, piece of plastic, but contoured to properly match the fret board radius. Should be easy enough to either match or make your own. However. . .

Those adjustable bridges are major tone and volume suckers and I recommend you remove it completely. I finally did after many years of playing and the difference is like night and day.

Your mechanism may vary but in my case it all lifted out with no issues. I replaced the entire saddle assembly with a single Tusq saddle originally designed for a Gibson replacement. I sanded it to fit the bridge slot and dropped it in. Intonation is not perfect but close enough that I don't lose any sleep over it.

You can follow the change here:
https://www.eldegas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1802