The Great Guitar / Gear Show -part deux

Open discussion on anything - guitar mods, the weather, guitar links, parts ... just keep it clean!
Frenchy

Re: The Great Guitar / Gear Show -part deux

Post by Frenchy »

Nice line up Barry!

Love your new additions.

If any one ever finds a solution or a great idea for the cases, please share!....

Charles, I saw your guitar stand pics. I also have one of those 5 guitar sideways stand and do not like it very much... they move and you kind of have a hard time putting them in without hitting the other guitars... I found a better solution for myself, I bought slat wall boards (left over pieces from hardware store $4 a piece) and got me those slat wall guitar holders just like in the stores. I have 3 seperate racks in my office/music room and can put about 10 guitars per 5 feet plus have amps under them.... Just a suggestion...

Really dig those Vintage Barry!....

P.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Frenchy wrote:...If any one ever finds a solution or a great idea for the cases, please share!...
It's an ongoing problem for sure. I'm now up to 25 and pretty much at my space limit. I managed to trim the storage size requirements a little bit by going to padded gig bags rather than big hard shell cases. That helped a lot, but I still have many HSC's that I cannot get rid of. They're either protection for the acoustics or they're branded and therefore collectibles.

There's a long discussion thread over at the Matsumoku forum with pix of my music room:
http://www.matsumoku.org/ggboard/viewto ... =40#p37052
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

Frenchy wrote: If any one ever finds a solution or a great idea for the cases, please share!....
They are definitely a handful - I pile mine up on edge with each other behind other things like the drum kit & guitar stands and they sort-of disappear... A nicely sized closet would definitely do the trick to put them out of sight of our mind.
Frenchy wrote:Charles, I saw your guitar stand pics. I also have one of those 5 guitar sideways stand and do not like it very much... they move and you kind of have a hard time putting them in without hitting the other guitars... I found a better solution for myself, I bought slat wall boards (left over pieces from hardware store $4 a piece) and got me those slat wall guitar holders just like in the stores. I have 3 seperate racks in my office/music room and can put about 10 guitars per 5 feet plus have amps under them.... Just a suggestion...
Mine are actually 9-guitar stands :shock: , but I've been very lucky that they seem very solid (being loaded to the hilt helps :lol: ) and with a good system of loading the guitars seem to not hit them together. A custom made solution is almost always better, but I've been doing great with these.

I also use wall hangers and in my next house I'll possibly investigate building a system like yours with one large piece of nice wood mounted to the wall studs, then possibly using the angled wall holders from String Swing to hang a lot of guitars with room below for the amps and synth and such.
I worry if it looks like too much of a music store, my wife will set up shop and start selling the guitars :lol: nah she wouldn't dare! :mrgreen:
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)
Barry

Post by Barry »

My preference would also be to have them all out and hanging on the wall; makes it so much easier to enjoy them. But then you have a double storage problem: guitars and cases separately take up much more room. Also, how do you manage to regulate the humidity, especially important for the hollow bodies and acoustics? I suspect dust is also a pain to keep under control.
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

Definitely a storage challenge...

As for humidity, I guess it depends where you live as to how easy it is to manage.
I'm lucky that in Calgary I can keep my guitars in the basement without it being all too damp, and I can just let my dehumidifer kick in whenever necessary. Seems to keep the humidity right where I need it.

Dust is a persistant, but in my opinion minor, problem.
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Major problem is dust... Humidity is not bad in Montreal,have AC... The point you brought up Barry on having double the storage, you have to have as many cases as instrument for that... That is not my case... I have 20 or 30 without cases at this point... They dont always come with a case.
Barry

Aria Pro II Urchin U60T RESTORATION UPDATE

Post by Barry »

I finally finished the thing!! (see earlier in this thread for 'before' pix)
What a Royal pain this was. Months of frustrating restoration, and it still ain't perfect. :roll:

But she is more than presentable and "stage ready", and a hundred times better than when I got her. Especially the headstock which was absolutely butchered:
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

That looks much better than before! Kudos, Barry :D

Barry

Post by Barry »

I've been taking outdoor pictures of some of the guitars I originally photographed inside during the winter months. Since many members here seemed to like my old Gibson ES330, here are some new pix of her after a complete detailing and polishing:
Image Image
Image Image

And here's another one of my favourite players, a 1990 Ovation Elite 1868:
Image Image Image Image Image
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

I cannot get over that Gibson. She's a beaut. Jealousy :oops: :)

Barry

Re: One more time!

Post by Barry »

Ya know, just when you think the GAS is gone....it's ba-a-a-ck!
I work in guitar shop 3 days a week primarily as a repair tech. Talk about temptation!

Last Christmas I was taken by a little Squier Tele Custom II made in Indonesia! You never know when GAS will hit, and this thing got a hold on me right away.
It was primarily the pick ups...P90's! Or more correctly Duncan Designed P90-2's. They sound amazing and not exactly what you think of when you think of Telecaster!

Long story short, she was not without need of some (ahem) adjustments, but the sound is fantastic. Oh, and cheap too!
If you see one check it out:

Image Image Image Image

(Number 26. Thanks for keeping score! :mrgreen: )
mikedem

Post by mikedem »

That's a beauty Barry.

Almost as impressive as the number at the bottom of the post :shock: 26!

I'm gonna use that next time I get heat for buying a new one. " but Barry has 26....." :mrgreen:
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

Anything with P90's! Anything, anytime, anywhere! :mrgreen:
Nice score.

Barry

Post by Barry »

Cheers boyz!
This really is a great buy. You can pick them up for less than $250 but be prepared to make a few changes.

I replaced the machine heads and the nut because the bugger just would not stay in tune! But after bit of filing of fret edges (like razor blades) she was ready to rock! Quite a nice neck and very lightly finished in a matt urethane. Almost has that "worn" feel. The only thing I don't care too much for is the bleached out look of the neck. It needs to be "aged" or yellowed a bit to make it really outstanding. That will be the next step in its make over.

I'd also love to change the bridge to a black Wilkinson/GE Smith half Tele style to make it more authentic looking. But the string holes do not line up. This guitar is a string through design so I'll be into a major re-drilling operation to make it work. Think I'll leave it awhile. :mrgreen:
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

I've heard that about those Squiers... file the fret ends and change the tuners, and you have an absolutely great player. Nice!