SOLD - El Degas Les Paul

El Degas Marketplace
manticus

SOLD - El Degas Les Paul

Post by manticus »

Hello Everyone,

I took this guitar in on a trade and am relatively impressed with it considering it's age. However, I'm really an Ibanez and Electra guy. The short scale guitars and I don't get along very well, so I thought I'd offer it up to the enthusiasts first.

So, here's what I know about it... It's black with cream binding and gold hardware. The pickups are unknown make but sound pretty good, not very muddy at all. It has the 2 piece sandwich body (not ply) with an arched top, making it kind of semi-chambered. Tuners have been replaced with Grover's. There are a few nick and dings, but nothing major. The electronics are original and a little scratchy (nothing that some canned air or electronics cleaner won't fix), the toggle switch has seen better days and should likely be replaced. I don't know where it''s made, but it's feels similar to an Uncle Mat Electra Les Paul I used to have, similar construction also. There is no stamp on the neck plate nor anywhere in the neck pocket. Frets and fretboard are in very good shape, very little wear.

I took these pics tonight and then my camera died. If you'd like to see more, let me know and I'll snap some tomorrow.

I'll leave it open to offers if that's OK with everyone. I'm trying to be as fair and accurate as I can in the description and I hope you'll do the same with offers. Thanks!

Andy

Full Album:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1176946999 ... directlink
charles
Site Admin

Re: El Degas Les Paul

Post by charles »

Beauty, from the looks of the rounded fretboard end and the tailpiece, that's likely a very early MIJ LP copy.

Best of luck with the sale!
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)
Barry

Post by Barry »

manticus wrote:...I don't know where it''s made, but it's feels similar to an Uncle Mat Electra Les Paul I used to have, similar construction also. There is no stamp on the neck plate nor anywhere in the neck pocket.
You are obviously familiar with Matsumoku made guitars as am I. One of the ongoing frustrations with the elDegas brand is in trying to determine where the MIJ versions, at least, were made. I am very convinced that many of the better quality LP's and Strat's were Mats. However, it isn't always easy to pinpoint the earlier 70's models.

It kind of comes down to a dozen "little" things which add up to pointing to Mats, and unfortunately, your pix are too dark and fuzzy to even begin to make an educated guess. As you say though, it feels and plays like your Electra, so perhaps it is a Mats in disguise. :mrgreen:
"A little song, a little dance. A little seltzer down your pants." --Chuckles the Clown
M U S I C : http://getback.barryeames.com
G U I T A R S : https://legend.barryeames.com/
manticus

Post by manticus »

If you can tell me what the details are, I can snap some more pics and post them. It'd be nice to have more info.

Andy
Barry

Post by Barry »

manticus wrote:If you can tell me what the details are, I can snap some more pics and post them. It'd be nice to have more info.
Andy
Jeez Andy, too many to list really. It's more of an instinctive knowing that comes from experience rather than a hard "check list". Little things like the finish inside the control cavities, the attention to the fret board binding details, a screw in the neck tendon inside the pup pocket, the general quality of hardware and finish...etc.
Another sure fire tip off is the engraved "Steel Adjustable Neck" on the neck plate, but you indicate that there is nothing on yours. :cry:
"A little song, a little dance. A little seltzer down your pants." --Chuckles the Clown
M U S I C : http://getback.barryeames.com
G U I T A R S : https://legend.barryeames.com/
manticus

Post by manticus »

I fixed the switch, cleaned the pots and replaced one. Sounds great, no fuzz, no buzz.

How would anyone feel about $180 + shipping and PayPal fees?

Andy
manticus

Post by manticus »

It's been sold.
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

Congrats on the sale; I am going to revise your thread topic to reflect that the ED is sold.
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)