Gibson Norlin-era copies

Talk about and show off your El Degas instruments here.
charles
Site Admin

Gibson Norlin-era copies

Post by charles »

Springboarding off of skeeter's thread (http://www.eldegas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=673) I thought I'd gather the Norlin-era Gibson copies El Degas made and show the ones I own.

One could argue the Norlin era is the reason we saw the rise of all the copy brands such as El Degas, Burny, Greco, Ibanez, etc. They were truly strange and dark days for the Gibson brand that saw the eggheads running the place come out with some designs that trod all over traditional designs to try to find a new market.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_Les ... .931985.29
The Les Paul was changed and experimented with and models such as the L6-S, S1, Sonex, Marauder, Spirit, "The Paul" and Deluxe. The Deluxe is the one that actually found an audience and remains somewhat popular. Bass models included the Grabber bass with a pecular sliding pickup.

Purists HATED these designs because they changed traditional designs, and made strange design decisions that went agains the 'Gibson way' of doing things - multi-piece bodies, bolt on necks, neck volutes, etc.

Funnily enough, some brands such as El Degas went ahead and cloned some of these weirdo designs, too! I have seen El Degas copies of the L6-S, Marauder, The Paul, and Grabber bass.

Ones I own:

El Degas L6-S copy
Don't have a photo right now while I am building my new music room and have guitars packed away. :(

El Degas Les Paul "The Paul" copy

El Degas Grabber bass copy
This is actually my second one, I also had another one that had poorer fit & finish and attention to detail and sold it once I got this one that seemed to be a more 'deluxe model':
edit: in fact, I think the photo below is of my first Grabber bass - will have to take a new one of the new one.
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)