ElDegas MT7

Open discussion on anything - guitar mods, the weather, guitar links, parts ... just keep it clean!
dougboy2@gmail.com

ElDegas MT7

Post by dougboy2@gmail.com »

Can anyone tell me what the back , top, and sides are on an El Degas MT7. and are they solid or laminate.
charles
Site Admin

Re: ElDegas MT7

Post by charles »

Slightly tricky question - I've seen the MT- models (which are copies of Martin acoustics, by the way) in a variety of "trim levels" from quite inexpensive and basic models all the way up to very deluxe models with nice abalone inlays.

I'd want to see photos to make any guesses as the woods used and I'd probably not make any definitive guess as to the solid vs. laminate (for the top, at least). But I can tell you that many (but not all) MT- models tend to have spruce tops, rosewood sides & backs, and mahogany necks with rosewood fingerboards. YMMV
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)
dougboy2@gmail.com

Thanks. Trying to replace my cottage El Degas which was stolen in a break-in this past fall. have a line on an MT7 for $140.00. It will be my campfire guitar so as long as the neck is straight I may take a plunge. The pictures look like mahogany but it could be a stain.Thanks for your help.
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

I always say that a guitar in-hand will tell you a lot more about itself than I ever can! :mrgreen: These things are now usually somewhere in the 40-50 age range so it's best to see how they feel, play, and sound in-person whenever possible (which is really more important that the woods used, in the end).

Hopefully the guitar speaks to you and it's a great match!
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

Just had a gander at Kijiji and if you are referring to the MT7 in Halifax I'm thinking it may be mainly mahogany - you could be right about the top being a stained spruce, potentially? I have to admit it's very hard to tell these things with small photos on Kijiji.

dougboy2@gmail.com

The one I am looking at is from Toronto.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Hi dougboy,
I've been looking at this one for awhile too. :mrgreen:

Judging by the grain in the sound hole picture It's a Mahogany guitar, and in beautiful condition (apparently).
I say apparently because not showing the head stock raises questions. Hiding it the inside the bag a very strange way to take a picture of a guitar that you're selling.

Maybe I'm being a tad too cynical and I'm sure a quick request for a head stock picture would produce one. Even if there is some damage there it can easily be repaired.
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

Ah, I see the listing now.

That's a Korean model (if you squint you can see it on the sound hole label). So, this will have none of the rosewood you normally see on the sides & back of the MIJ models (as you've noted Barry it appears to be all mahogany), and as you can see it has dots vs. the more elaborate inlays (often in abalone) of the more deluxe models from Japan as well.

I am suspect of the obscured headstock. I'd really want to see if there's something up there.

Barry

Post by Barry »

charles wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:41 am ...That's a Korean model (if you squint you can see it on the sound hole label)...
Hey Charles, long time no talk. :mrgreen:
Yup, Korean.

In case you are not aware, if you right click on the image and select "View Image" (in FireFox) you will get an enlarged image. You can then click again to increase it to maximum size. Works on most Kijiji pix.
And, if needed you can hold down the Ctrl key and use the scroll wheel on your mouse to enlarge or decrease the window size even more!
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

I was really glad to see some posts pop up from you today Barry! Hope you're well.

Good tip on the image viewing. You can also do a similar thing on Chrome: open the image viewer in Kijiji, right click the image, and select "Open image in new tab".

Barry

Post by Barry »

Thanks Charles, I'm doing OK, and still afflicted with GAS (up to 37 now).
Finding the money to feed the beast however is another story!

I have been checking the site regularly but there has been quite a fall off this past year eh?
These things tend to go in cycles so maybe things will pick up in 2020.
Cheers.