El Degas Dove GB25 400?

El Degas Marketplace
missv

El Degas Dove GB25 400?

Post by missv »

Good morning,

I have the chance to get an El Degas Dove GB25 at 400$ CDN. I was wondering if it's a good price. What do you think?

Thanks!!! :)
charles
Site Admin

Re: El Degas Dove GB25 400?

Post by charles »

These guitars are old enough that assigning a standard value to them is quite difficult. They are all in the region of 30-50 years old so the condition and playability of them is going to cause a large swing in the price they should command. You'll likely want to get your hands on it to see how it plays and what the cosmetic and structural condition is in order to know if $400 is a price you'd pay. You also have to consider how much brands such as Epiphone seem to have stepped up their game, and how a Dove Pro (with Fishman preamp system pre-installed) from them, brand new, is only about $520 CAD as of the time of this post...

If it's a MIJ model, and plays and feels great, I'd personally find $400 to be a fairly decent price (though I'd likely haggle a little bit since I find it's usually easy to get between 5-15% off if you just ask).
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)
Barry

Re: El Degas Dove GB25 400?

Post by Barry »

missv, I think you will also find that although the el Degas model number remains the same the details can vary quite a bit from edition to edition and manufacturer to manufacturer.

I have a GB25 circa 1975 made in Japan, likely by Chushin Gakki, and it is a superb instrument and beautifully detailed. But I have seen many other versions, both MIJ and MIK, which are much more basic looking and lack the attention to detail which makes my Dove such an elegant looking guitar. This sort of variation will also have an effect on the value.