A El Degas Gibson replica with a Martin label

Talk about and show off your El Degas instruments here.
ejkingston

A El Degas Gibson replica with a Martin label

Post by ejkingston »

Hi everyone

I have an El Degas guitar I bought from a friend a few years ago. The guitar label says its a MT-3S, but it looks like a replica of a Gibson Hummingbird.
I found this site, and asked Charles to look at the pictures. I knew nothing about my guitar a few days ago and am very happy to know alot more now.
I was planning to sell it, for an amount I am embarrassed to say, but now, I find this so interesting I will likely keep it.

I am listing it in showcase, based on the comments below from Charles.

Thanks, Ethel

Charles Reply:

Well, it's a Gibson Hummingbird copy, but the sound hole label does not make sense.

The El Degas brand was not very good at consistent labeling, but the MT- model number is supposed to denote a Martin copy. This one should have a GB- model number. That's a pretty serious labeling goof. You might want to post this in the "Showcase" section of the site so people can see it, and to show the strange use of the model number. This is something we have not seen before.

Not too sure what you could get for it - this is a later MIK model with modified headstock shape and less of the adornments that the higher end MIJ models had (MOP block inlays, etc). If it were me I'd try for around $250-400; but you might have luck at any price range depending on the motivation of the buyer.

[IMG

[/img]ejkingston

Private message
charles
Site Admin

Re: A El Degas Gibson replica with a Martin label

Post by charles »

Thanks for posting this for everyone :)

That model number is a real conundrum!
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)
Barry

Post by Barry »

Hi Ethel, and welcome here.
Well, you've got me scratching my head too. As Charles says, this the first we've seen of a labeling mis-match. This is clearly a Gibson copy but carrying a model designation that, up to now at least, has meant a "Martin" copy. Well, that's the frustration of the El Degas brand...nothing seems to be consistent. From a collector's viewpoint this is rather like a stamp collector finding an image printed upside down, pretty unusual and rare, if not a bit obscure in this case.

All that aside, despite being MIK this appears to be a very well built instrument and in good condition and I would not expect that you'll have difficulty finding a buyer.

I have an MIJ "Dove" replica and I've always wanted the other bird to make it a matched pair. If this had been MIJ I'd be making you an offer! (I'm not being a snob, just trying to be consistent within my own collection.)

Thanks for sharing this with us and good luck with your sale. :)
"A little song, a little dance. A little seltzer down your pants." --Chuckles the Clown
M U S I C : http://getback.barryeames.com
G U I T A R S : https://legend.barryeames.com/
Courtney

Post by Courtney »

I have one exactly like it. It also has the Martin label........just wondering, is the label mixup because these were made in Korea??
Barry

Post by Barry »

Anything is possible I guess.
Grabbing any old label to shove in there doesn't speak too well as to quality control though. Could just be carelessness?
"A little song, a little dance. A little seltzer down your pants." --Chuckles the Clown
M U S I C : http://getback.barryeames.com
G U I T A R S : https://legend.barryeames.com/