El degas mt11… looking to buy, any info on the build

Talk about and show off your El Degas instruments here.
RustyMcdangles

El degas mt11… looking to buy, any info on the build

Post by RustyMcdangles »

Hey guys, I’m new to the forum, looking to trade for one of these, do you know any information about this guitar, can’t seem to find any. Says it’s an mt-11. I believe Korean made, is it mahogany or rosewood, solid or laminate? Image

Thanks guys
charles
Site Admin

Re: El degas mt11… looking to buy, any info on the build

Post by charles »

If I recall correctly, the sides and back on these are usually solid rosewood and the tops may be laminated spruce. Honestly I am not great at spotting whether the tops of these acoustics is laminate or solid.

Really, with these guitars the proof is in the sound, resonance, stability, and playability. They are 30-50 years old, after all. If you can try it before you commit to it, you should be able to know all you need to know by playing it.
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)
Barry

Re: El degas mt11… looking to buy, any info on the build

Post by Barry »

What Charles said. The tone is the important thing.

The Rosewood is just gorgeous on this, and likely Brazilian too!
Because of that, plus the age of construction my guess would be that the top is solid Spruce.

One way to tell is to inspect the inside edge of the sound hole. If it is a solid top you should see the continuous grain of the wood through the finish. On a laminate you should be able to make out the alternating layers of wood grain.

A finish trim or painted edge inside a sound hole is a tip off for a laminate. That doesn't appear to be the case here.