El Degas made in Mexico?

Open discussion on anything - guitar mods, the weather, guitar links, parts ... just keep it clean!
Chuck

El Degas made in Mexico?

Post by Chuck »

Hi, I haven't been here in quite a while! I still have my El Degas 1972-73 SJ200 MIJ copy, although it went in for a bridge reattachment at a well known chain establishment here in Canada, and now has all kinds of scratches around the bridge that look like they were made from the improper use of clamps. I now wish I had gone to a true luthier with clientele reviews. But, that's another story.
I also edited my first post about the date I bought my guitar. I found the original owner of the store where I bought it and he said he only opened the store around 1972, and my ex wife reminded me that she had given me the money for it as a birthday present, after we were married in 1972, not before, so it couldn't have been in 1971 that I bought it.
Since the last time I posted, I had bought a couple of El Degas acoustic guitars, both were made in Korea, but I found them to be not what I was looking for and resold them.
I am now looking at buying an "Older El Degas" acoustic guitar, I haven't met the seller in person only through texting and I inquired if he knew where it was made. He is telling me that it was made in Mexico! I told him I had never heard of any El Degas guitars made in Mexico. He told me that he is away from home but when he returns he will send me pictures of the assembly label.
I know that they were made in Japan probably in the early to late 70's, and then moved to Korea for the 80's. Has anyone here ever heard of MIM El Degas guitars?
charles
Site Admin

Re: El Degas made in Mexico?

Post by charles »

I've seen no evidence of ED guitars made in Mexico, but I seem to remember once seeing a classical model with a tag that said Made in Guatemala... I do not have the images of that one any more. I think a user on the forum first reported it.
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Thanks Charles, he did get back to me last night and apologized for the wrong info. It was made in Korea after all. Dang it, I thought I had found the "holy grail", so to speak, lol.
I thought I would just leave the post with this reply, instead of deleting it, so anyone reading would know what happened. If you would rather delete it, that's fine too.
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

Thanks for the update. I'll leave this since it will be a good informational post for anyone with a similar question.
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)