El Degas The Paul

Talk about and show off your El Degas instruments here.
charles
Site Admin

Re: El Degas The Paul

Post by charles »

Lovely. Mine has a headstock repair, sadly.

Is yours also as heavy as a boat anchor?
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Actually, not that bad as for the weight ! I`m a bass player so kind of use to it !

Crazy that it shares the weakness of Gibson... headstock weakness... to good of a copy !
Barry

Post by Barry »

Nice looking Paul!
Hmm...those brass knobs look awfully familiar. Any thoughts as to who made this?
"A little song, a little dance. A little seltzer down your pants." --Chuckles the Clown
M U S I C : http://getback.barryeames.com
G U I T A R S : https://legend.barryeames.com/
MusiTechDude

Post by MusiTechDude »

HI there, to whoever posted this (The Paul), I gotta say, after more than 15 years trying to find this exact guitar, you might guess I have quite a few questions. Here's why:

Back in the early 1980s, I was taking guitar lessons from Ken Davidsons Music School in Halifax, Nova Scotia. My teacher there at the time was Bill Livingston, and sometimes Doug Sampson (Doug is now a household name among musicians all over the East Coast as he's Long & McQuades Music Tech Guru). Anyway, so I begged for a nice electric guitar for Christmas that year, and Ken Davidson, with my Dad, picked out the El Degas LP that you have pictured here in these forums.

Now, here's where the story gets a bit messed up. I had this guitar, and played it non stop for a few years. But, but the time I turned 16, got my driver's license and started to go car crazy, I decided one day, on a ridiculously stupid whim, it trade the el degas and my Fender Studio lead amp for a piece of shite car.

When my father found out what I'd done, about a week later, he didn't get angry... he didn't raise his voice.... but the look on his face was a look I have never been able to forget. He was so hurt that after him spending the money on the amp and guitar, that I'd go and do something so stupid.

I did a few stupid things as a kid growing up. Hell, many of us have. But, 30 years later, here I am. On the hunt for this very guitar. My dad has no idea I've been looking for it.

I don't want to impose, nor create any issues here, but would you mind if I ask you bout your guitar? Where you got it? Hoe long you've had it?

I have never before seen ANY pics the El Degas since owning it all those years ago. :(

Thank you for your time.
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Hi Barry !

The Paul is very nice and I still think that its a Matsumoku made guitar. I am still looking to get a Vantage version of this guitar to fully compare but the Vantage have drastically went up in prices...
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Hey Musitechdude,

We all did stupid things younger, me, I listened to women ...lol

I got the guitar 10 or 12 years ago from another board member here. Charles was thinking about getting it also at the time. Seller was local to me in the greater Montreal area here in Québec. I doubt it came from Nova Scotia but you never know!

My guitar is almost in mint condition, very little wear on it.
MusiTechDude

Post by MusiTechDude »

Hi there Frenchy. I lived in Montreal for years. Had a business there as well (Donair Cite and Bar 902). I left Montreal (Boucherville, actually) 3 years ago.

Would you consider selling the Paul??
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

People who know me know that I acquire instruments and I dont sell !

Sorry , this guitar is just to nice.
MusiTechDude

Post by MusiTechDude »

Figured I'd ask if you happen to know of anyone else with the exact same guitar, please let me know? I've been unsuccessful in locating one. Thanks. :)
Barry

Post by Barry »

Frenchy wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:58 am Hi Barry !

The Paul is very nice and I still think that its a Matsumoku made guitar. I am still looking to get a Vantage version of this guitar to fully compare but the Vantage have drastically went up in prices...
I was thinking Mats too.
Yup, the Vantage prices have gone stupid high, even for the Korean models. Love my Mats Vantage models, especially the Avengers, just great players.
"A little song, a little dance. A little seltzer down your pants." --Chuckles the Clown
M U S I C : http://getback.barryeames.com
G U I T A R S : https://legend.barryeames.com/