Replacement tuners for el Degas Gibson SG style

Open discussion on anything - guitar mods, the weather, guitar links, parts ... just keep it clean!
Wayne

Replacement tuners for el Degas Gibson SG style

Post by Wayne »

I accidently posted this in the "Show & Tell" section, but could not figure out how to delete it. Anyway............

I picked up a very beat up Gibson SG style El Degas, double pickup model a few months ago, but really love it. I have done some replacement wiring as well as replaced the 3 way switch, and putting it back together. I have been amazed at how low I was able to set up the action without any string buzz.

However, one of the tuners is bad, and I need to buy a replacement. I looked online in this forum, and my search on "tuners" did not turn anything up. I will be looking online, but was hopeful someone might know a vendor / website, or specific tuner type to purchase. The tuning knob is an ivory color. Any help / suggestions is sincerely appreciated! Wayne
Barry

Re: Replacement tuners for el Degas Gibson SG style

Post by Barry »

Pictures would help identify the tuner type exactly but finding just one that would match would be a nearly impossible task.
And keep in mind too that there is a left side and a right side tuner in the 3+3 (Gibson style) arrangement.

If one is bad it's probably time to replace the full set. Tuners are easily available online through lots of places, Amazon, eBay, Long and McQuade (in Canada), Guitar Fetish, etc. You can get a replacement set with the plastic knobs in several colours and tints.

The first thing to check is the shaft size to make sure it will fit the existing hole. If not you may have to enlarge them.

Second, note what the back looks like, If you want the same design check to be sure the mounting holes line up in the same way, then it would be a simple job to reuse the existing mounting holes. Many of the imports of that era used acoustic style gears which are OK but not too reliable over time. And they look a little bit on the cheap side.

Real Gibson tuners are Kluson style and are very good. I would recommend going with that style on this guitar. But if your existing tuners are a different style be aware that you will need to drill new holes for the mounting screws. Completely up to you what to do. Lots of choices online. Be careful not confuse a 3+3 set with a 6-in-line set, they're not inter-changeable.

Good luck.
"A little song, a little dance. A little seltzer down your pants." --Chuckles the Clown
M U S I C : http://getback.barryeames.com
G U I T A R S : https://legend.barryeames.com/
charles
Site Admin

Re: Replacement tuners for el Degas Gibson SG style

Post by charles »

You will likely find it easiest and most economical to replace the whole set of tuners. What I look for when replacing tuners is a similar/same method of mounting to the guitar (how many screws to affix them to the headstock,. and the same layout/configuration).

I've deleted the other thread for you.
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)