Black El Degas Korean Strat circa early late 80's early 90's.

Open discussion on anything - guitar mods, the weather, guitar links, parts ... just keep it clean!
Tenbears

Black El Degas Korean Strat circa early late 80's early 90's.

Post by Tenbears »

I was gifted this axe back in 92 and it still has a couple of manufacturing stickers on the back of the head stock. One says 'Made in Korea', the other one says 'EDG -11'. Would anyone happen to know what the EDG -11 refers to?
Cheers! :-)
charles
Site Admin

Re: Black El Degas Korean Strat circa early late 80's early 90's.

Post by charles »

That would be the model number.

I believe it's most common in later Korean models to sometimes find a label still attached to the back of the headstock with a model number. I seem to remember seeing it on photos of instruments with different body shapes (so, not just on Strat-shaped instruments). Sometimes the model numbers include a suffix that denotes the color (ex. "SB" for sunburst, "N" for Natural, etc).

This one is a bit funny since it's the model prefix does not seemingly point more towards the guitar being emulated (I would wonder if it is simply someone's shorthand for El Degas ? [ElDeGas])... which makes me start to wonder if there is any possibility the label and number was perhaps something added at a retail store in order to have a SKU (stock keeping unit) number for record-keepin? (Pure speculation on my part, I admit). However, I seem to remember other model number labels from that era also having less-than-obvious model number prefixes than what they used in the 70s acoustics, where the prefix was very tailored to the manufacturer being emulated (GB for Gibson, MT for Martin, etc)
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)
Tenbears

Re: Black El Degas Korean Strat circa early late 80's early 90's.

Post by Tenbears »

Thanks very much Charles. Much appreciated!
Cheers! :-)