Talk about and show off your El Degas instruments here.
tvrfan2003

Post by tvrfan2003 »

Got a white El Degas LP copy, all gold fittings when I turned 15 or so from my Dad, that was 32 years ago and it still sounds alright! Not great, but alright :-) Would like to upgrade the pickups as no idea what they are, but they could use some help...guitar action is pretty decent and neck has stayed true! I ahve kept mine for sentimental reasons more than because its a great axe but nice to see so many keeping interest!!
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

Welcome!

You can replace those pickups with pretty much any humbucker (or humbucker-sized single coil / P90) you want.

Just note that new pups with gold covers may look a bit too "shiny" if the other gold hardware is tarnished/oxidized.

For off-the-shelf aftermarket pickups I like Kent Armstrong or Dimarzio.
There are great lower-cost pickups from GFS (www.guitarfetish.com) such as the Crunchy Pafs, Mean 90's (humbucker-sized P90), etc. Lots of bang for your buck.
Also great boutique winders such as BG Pups, Vintage Vibe, Lindy Fralin, etc.

The sky's the limit! Heck, I've got a set of EMGs I'm planning on putting into my white El Degas LP Custom :shock:
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)
tvrfan2003

Post by tvrfan2003 »

Thanks Charles...I actually replaced the tuners, and tailpiece with newer gold ones when I found a couple of good ebay deals, so new ones would actuallly match I guess....Like I said, sentimental value eh? :-)

Don't want to spend silly money putting 200 dollars in p/u, in a 200 dollar guitar, but figure I can upgrade somewhat and still enjoy it...Have heard of Kent Armstrong p/u but no experience.. Will let you know what I put in, great to find a site that recongizes them!!
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

I'd go GFS.
Set of pups will cost you about $70 plus shipping.
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

tvrfan2003

Post by tvrfan2003 »

Was just checking the GFS out after your post....great prices and fro some of the online forums they seem to get pretty good post for the money spent....was chekcing out the Dream 90/180's but Mean 90's and Crunchys sound interesting,....too many choices but the prices are great. Will have to see what shp to cda does to pricing but looks solid
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

You'll probably be happy with any of those four choices.

Cheers