Eb3 El Degas Sg, Dark Cherry Red

El Degas Marketplace
SoulSurgeon

Eb3 El Degas Sg, Dark Cherry Red

Post by SoulSurgeon »

Guys,

Is this the one?

I have been looking for one of these for a long time. Look at its condition. Great!

Charles...Thoughts on this? Looks MIJ. It's a ton of money...so I need solid advice here boyz.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-1970s-El ... 35e2eeba59
Last edited by SoulSurgeon on Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
charles
Site Admin

Re: Ebo3 El Degas Sg, Dark Cherry Red

Post by charles »

That's pretty pricey, but you don't see these very often. If you feel very strongly about this one, you might have some serious thinking to do.

These are MIJ but have a bolt-on neck. Also note (although you probably know this already) that this bass model is short scale.
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)
SoulSurgeon

Post by SoulSurgeon »

Yes, its expensive. I've been looking at spending $1000-2000 on a new bass over the past year...considering that, if it IS awesome...then I think it will be worth it. Also, a "good" Epiphone copy is $400-500.

I haven't seen one of these on the market before...with the string muter, and the voice dial.

I've only seen one in person @ Songbird music in Toronto. It was BADLY beat up and unplayable. They were asking $350 for it...I got them down to $275 but I walked.

I like the short scale neck. I've got a "bad" Epiphone SG Bass. I like it weight and feel. It neck dives but it plays more like a guitar. I sing lead in some of the bands that I play in and its a little awkward slugging a monster P Bass around while doing that. I find it hard to look natural.
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

Sounds like it might be right up your alley, then. Decisions, decisions!! :mrgreen:
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

Barry

Post by Barry »

Wow, that looks like it just came out of the factory! Just a top notch build and in beautiful condition.
Yeah, it is a tad pricey for an "off brand" but if she sounds as good as she looks, and particularly if you'll be gigging her, it might be well worth it.

The difficulty of course with eBay if that you buy not having actually played the thing. :?
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

I definitely agree with Barry. If you are going to gig with it, it fits your style and practical needs, and were planning to spend 2-3 times as much on a new bass anyway....

I have only seen about 3 of these for sale, ever. I bought the first one I came across.

SoulSurgeon

Post by SoulSurgeon »

Ok, I so I offered the store $350 US. They accepted. I just need to decide if I should drive their to pick it up...stop in for some deep dish pizza and some blues music, or have it forwarded to my friends US post office box in Niagara Falls.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Bloody cold in Chicago!
Stay home.
Have a Scotch and put on some Buddy Guy!

Congrats!
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

Score!

As much as I adore pizza in all its forms I'd probably stay home with a nice Scotch like Barry suggested. :mrgreen:

SoulSurgeon

Post by SoulSurgeon »

I'm a scotch guy too btw. In fact, I think I'll go make one now....

..ok I'm back. Ballantynes on the rocks.

So update here. I am paying for the bass guitar tomorrow and once payment goes through paypal, they are shipping to my PO box in Niagarara USA.

It's not being shipping in a guitarcase but they have reassured me that they ship guitars all over the world like this all the time and they package it well not to receive damage. Should I notice any, I am to contact them right away and let them know.

Cheers,

Soul
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

Congrats - definitely show it off when you get it!
I had a nice Glenmorangie tonight.

SoulSurgeon

Post by SoulSurgeon »

I STILL don't have it. I am picking it up in 2 weeks.

Pics to come when homer.

Cheers
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

SoulSurgeon wrote:when homer.
You know what they say... Waiting is the hardest part. Even when you're Homer.

edit: darn it, tried to embed a youtube video without success. https://youtu.be/4mDcZGRKQ_M

SoulSurgeon

Post by SoulSurgeon »

haha Tom Petty. Nice Clip.

So, I hope to be getting the bass tomorrow...
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

Great - let us know what happens!