End of another phase of my life

Open discussion on anything - guitar mods, the weather, guitar links, parts ... just keep it clean!
Barry

End of another phase of my life

Post by Barry »

Ya know...as if dealing with Mother Natures bitchy moods, and moving (we are moving to St. Catharines in Sept.) ain't enough excitement for me, sometimes the world just smacks ya upside the head.

The day I never wanted to happen, finally happened. I am no longer working as a guitar tech in my local shop, Guitars 'n Amps.

No, I did nothing wrong. We were simply a victim of a lousy economy and an inexplicable drop off in interest in guitars and gear generally. Apparently, we're not alone and we join a growing list of "music" shops which have closed their doors. Particularly hard hit have been piano dealers followed very closely by guitar shops. It appears to be a wide spread phenomenon according to our sales reps, and no one seems to know why.

Online sales have had something to do with it, but that doesn't account for everything, and even that has trailed off. No, it seems as though the physical act and effort and dedication required to learn to play an actual instrument is just too damned hard for this smart-phone-tethered, and instant-gratification-on-demand generation. It's easier to play the bloody phone I guess.

The owner, Bob, has been struggling for a long time and just today finally announced that he's liquidating and moving on. He can finally leave all the stress and aggravation behind. It has been brutal. I have watched the business change dramatically in my 4+ years there, from 3 of us being rushed off our feet, to swatting the occasional fly to relieve boredom. Even restrings have all but evaporated. Just a head shaker.

I am happy for Bob, who was diagnosed about 2 years a go with Multiple Sclerosis. He's been dealing with that reality while attempting to keep the business breathing. I have done what I could to assist but in the end it was his baby and his passion that started the thing, and his sweat and stress that kept it going this long, beyond all hope really.

The action was not unexpected. I have known for some time that he was going to shut down. It was just a matter of time. But I was selfishly hoping I could hang on to the end of this month as a kind of neat closure, and then concentrate on my move.

Still, I'm grateful for the opportunity he gave me and for his support and comradery over the years. I learned and experienced much. It was a great ride. It all will be greatly missed.
charles
Site Admin

Re: End of another phase of my life

Post by charles »

Hey Barry, I'm very sorry to hear about this. I'm at a loss on what to say other than I wish you all the best.
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)
Barry

Post by Barry »

Hey thanks Charles.
I haven't died or anything like that, but it is a loss nonetheless.

As we physically move on to a new city, it's an opportunity of course to start over. There is reportedly a healthy music scene in St. Catharines but i believe there are also a lot of folks doing guitar repairs/setups too. I may attempt to hang up my own shingle and work from the house, but that will be some time down the road. Moving is no fun!

Any way I still reside here...at least in a virtual way. :mrgreen:
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

As Steve Miller says (sings), you just got to keep on, keepin' on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGF_0AcHaGs
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

sambonee

Post by sambonee »

I'm sorry to hear about this. When one door closes there's always another one opens. Make sure to send me your contact information very via private message so we can keep in touch.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Thanks Sean. If I forget we can still connect here.
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Sorry to hear, Barry. Not a fun thing to experience.

I can relate to the lack of interest in this aspect of music. Where I live, four of the six music shops specializing in piano/guitar have closed down in the past year or two, including the two my father and I both frequented in a combined 40 years of time. Luckily, the shop I go to now has proven to be an excellent provider of service and keeps decent staff hired. It is really good, but I guess you have to be that and even more lucky in the industry right now.

Good luck in the future, man. Sounds like it was a dream job. Sure would have been one for me.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Much appreciated fuzzy.
Sorry to hear even more corroboration of this trend. It's happening all over North America and nobody can seem to figure out the cause...or the cure.
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

Wow, that is a very worrying trend. Apparently a new Rock Band game is coming out soon and hopefully it will inspire some of today's youth to pick up a guitar and make a go of it...

All the best Barry, hope you are applying your trade elsewhere very soon.

Barry

Post by Barry »

Thanks Charles. We're up to "here" right now with the move. But I have tentatively scouted out at least 10 potential music/instrument related businesses which might have an interest in having an itinerant guitar tech association, so, fingers crossed.

I'm also investigating going back to some remote contracting work in eLearning/IT. Pays well but not near as much fun as playing with G strings!