El-Degas MT-4M Mahogany top Acoustic MIK

Open discussion on anything - guitar mods, the weather, guitar links, parts ... just keep it clean!
MoNOnKBeN

El-Degas MT-4M Mahogany top Acoustic MIK

Post by MoNOnKBeN »

Hello,

Starting a new topic for all these vintage El-Degas lovers...

I just picked up an acoustic MT-4M for 40 CDN dollars (30 USD!!!) from a Canadian classified site.
The guitar is in great condition but it was definitely in need for some love...

So I first did a little bit of work on it... lot of cleaning, filled in the key screw holes with glue and tooth picks, replaced a missing bushing on one of the pegs, replaced the nut (it had a bad over sized replacement nut..), filled in some huge ugly one inch scratch in the fret board with rosewood powder and superglue, performed a fret leveling/fret crowning/fret polishing job, cleaned the fret board with a razor blade, treated the fret board with lemon oil, and stringed it. I still need to perform the final setup (saddle/nut/truss-rod/string height/intonation) but it is now playable (I recently learned to do this this watching youtube...).

WOW! I just can't believe it! It is already my favorite Guitar... Let's be fair... my good guitar is a Norman B-20, which is a pretty decent guitar, but far from a Martin... regardless, this El-Degas is a gem... and it is beautiful!

A full deep rich loud and balanced sound that is really a surprise from a laminated top. I just love it!
Note: the mahogany top is probably just an aesthetic flavor of the MT-4 guitar since it is a laminated top..

I thought I would add this post because I can't find any reference for the MT-4M (no results on google.. for <guitar el degas "mt4m">), and maybe someone else has one somewhere or might have the opportunity to get one and enjoy it.

The sticker does not have any serial number and I didn't find any. But it is clearly written "Made in Korea" on that sticker.
It is definitely not for sale but if anyone has any clue of its value, I would be curious to know, along with the year it was produced (the previous owner bought it used and had no clue how long he had it..).

That's it folks!

MoNOnKBen
charles
Site Admin

Re: El-Degas MT-4M Mahogany top Acoustic MIK

Post by charles »

Congrats on the guitar.

The MT- models are copies of Martin acoustics. The MIK models are believed to have been built either at the very end of the 1970s or in the 1980s.

Enjoy it!
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)
MoNOnKBeN

Re: El-Degas MT-4M Mahogany top Acoustic MIK

Post by MoNOnKBeN »

Hi Charles,

That was my understanding based on some other posts: late 70 or early 80.
Also, the headstock is definitely post-lawsuit era with a tip in the center.

For sure, I will enjoy it a lot!

MoNOnKBeN