GB81

Talk about and show off your El Degas instruments here.
Barry

Re: GB81

Post by Barry »

Hi there, I'm just catching up with this post.

Really nice build, looks like you have a maple body on that baby. That should give it lots of projection. I was about to say that $150 repairs seems pricey, but if that includes up-grading that adjustable bridge and some fret leveling then it's not a bad price at all.

I am curious though. You said the action is high? Was that because the neck was up bowed? Those adjustable bridges can usually bring the action down a long way. An up bowed neck is easily adjusted via the truss rod and part of a normal set up.

Yeah, those adjustable bad boys were common on 70's vintage guitars. They're handy but unfortunately they tend to suck the sustain and tone out of the guitar! With a one piece saddle in there (I recommend a Tusq) that guitar will come alive and you'll hear every subtlety and overtone. Magic!

And, if you can afford it, replacing those inexpensive machine heads with nice set of Grover-style tuners will stabilize the tuning as well as assist in tone boosting.

Good luck with the resto and I look forward to some "after" pix!
jhamilton

Post by jhamilton »

I spoke to the owner, and it was bought in 1971, and maybe played 10 times.. before being put away. Never had any adjustments made to it. or a tune up of any sorts. Just collecting dust in the basement.

I'll speak to the luthier and see what improvements can be done.. without breaking the bank of course... :) Seems like a nice solidly made guitar. and heavy..

Keep you posted... I'm looking forward to playing this guitar...

Thanks for the suggestions..
Everton FC

Post by Everton FC »

Old thread, but I just got a GB81 today. Your thread has provided a lot of information for me:

1. I thought this was an "MIJ" guitar. You've proven me correct.
2. The fact yours is from 1971 - that confirms my second assumption: this is an older MIJ acoustic
3. I think it is a copy of a J35/45, based on the pickguard.

Anyone else own a GB81?!
1976(?) El Degas GB81