El Degas GL guitars

Open discussion on anything - guitar mods, the weather, guitar links, parts ... just keep it clean!
strumminking

El Degas GL guitars

Post by strumminking »

Can anyone tell me the difference between a GL30 and a GL36 El Degas guitar? I know they are Guild copies. I realize the GL36 is the one always associated with the Guild D55 however, the El Degas GL30 looks exactly the same as the GL36.

I'm wondering if the GL36 is Rosewood, etc. and the GL30 is laminate or if there is some other difference?

Thanks,

Don
charles
Site Admin

Re: El Degas GL guitars

Post by charles »

The GL30 & GL36 both appear, from the photos I have seen, to be the same aesthetically.

The difference could be build quality as you have theorized, though I have not had my hands on them to confirm whether this is the truth.

Both have the telltale signs of being among the more "deluxe" models produced (inlaid logo, etc) so I would not hesitate to pick up either model if I found a nice specimen available at a good price.
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)
strumminking

Post by strumminking »

Thanks Charles,

Passion for something and then to turn it in to a forum of sorts, is always the best, most fun way to celebrate things.

I, and I'm sure others, appreciate the fact that you have created such a site where we can share thoughts and information.
strumminking

Post by strumminking »

I think I may have discovered the difference in the GL30 and the GL36N, hence the difference in price.

It appears that the GL36N is made of the same materials as the Guild D55. Rosewood, spruce, etc. whereas the GL30 has laminate back and sides?

Does anyone have any other thoughts on this?
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

strumminking wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:27 pm I think I may have discovered the difference in the GL30 and the GL36N, hence the difference in price.

It appears that the GL36N is made of the same materials as the Guild D55. Rosewood, spruce, etc. whereas the GL30 has laminate back and sides?

Does anyone have any other thoughts on this?
That sounds like what I'd likely suspect as well, a difference in the materials. You might just be right, but I have no way of verifying.
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)