Acquired an El Degas 995-WR. Need help finding details about it!

Talk about and show off your El Degas instruments here.
995WR

Acquired an El Degas 995-WR. Need help finding details about it!

Post by 995WR »

Hi everyone, I recently came into possession of an El Degas 995-WR. This guitar is quite elusive to me due to not being able to find any information whatsoever online about it no matter how hard I dig. I love the guitar but I'm thinking of unfortunately parting with it due to it not getting much use and I'm also curious how much I should list it for. I'm hoping someone here might be a miracle maker and be able to provide some further insight!

Here's a link to some pictures
charles
Site Admin

Re: Acquired an El Degas 995-WR. Need help finding details about it!

Post by charles »

I own one of these, the 995-TS (Tobacco Sunburst). Decent guitar. I think I got mine for a few hundred bucks when I bought it several years ago.

It appears to be a copy of a Gibson ES-175D (I believe the D is for dual-pickup). Yours is the wine red model, hence the WR in the model nomenclature.

The question of what an El Degas guitar is worth is pretty tough to answer. These guitars are all 30-50 years old at this point so the condition and playability of them can vary wildly. Also, while they are copies of sought-after models from the big manufacturers, they simply are not wearing the right brand name on the headstock to be as sought-after and priced... which was kind of the point of them! You need to have a motivated buyer who is willing to pay what you are asking. Add in the "Covid bump" that sent many of the big manufacturer's older guitar prices soaring, then crashing back down to pre-Covid levels despite many used sellers continuing to keep their pricing inflated to silly levels... well, it makes answering the pricing question darn near impossible.
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)
Barry

Post by Barry »

Oh-h-h, that is one beautiful guitar! 😍
I would be reluctant to get rid of it, but it is really a 'jazz box', so if you don't play that style I can understand why it doesn't get enough use.

Good luck with your sale!

p.s. I would pay some attention the the hardware prior to offering it up, the trapeze tailpiece could use a bit of cleaning from what I can see in the pix. That would enhance the appeal and the price! :wink:
"A little song, a little dance. A little seltzer down your pants." --Chuckles the Clown
M U S I C : http://getback.barryeames.com
G U I T A R S : https://legend.barryeames.com/
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

It really is pretty.

I would be tempted to toss an offer but honestly I have no idea what price would be appropriate, and my other 995 gets almost 0 play as it's just not quite appropriate for most of the stuff I play.
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)