Did El Degas make a Gibson Sonex Clone?

Open discussion on anything - guitar mods, the weather, guitar links, parts ... just keep it clean!
beattytg

Did El Degas make a Gibson Sonex Clone?

Post by beattytg »

Hi All:
I just came back from my local pawn shop and was impressed to see an older MIJ el degas. It appeared to me to be a Gibson Sonex copy (?). It has a double coil pickup encased in clear plastic at the neck and another pickup with rails encased in clear plastic at the bridge. The headstock was a tapered and somewhat rounded triangle with "EL degas" done in abalone (or ab..baloney :D ) It sounded great and I'm tempted to go and pick it up. Is anyone familiar with these models?
charles
Site Admin

Re: Did El Degas make a Gibson Sonex Clone?

Post by charles »

beattytg wrote:Hi All:
I just came back from my local pawn shop and was impressed to see an older MIJ el degas. It appeared to me to be a Gibson Sonex copy (?). It has a double coil pickup encased in clear plastic at the neck and another pickup with rails encased in clear plastic at the bridge. The headstock was a tapered and somewhat rounded triangle with "EL degas" done in abalone (or ab..baloney :D ) It sounded great and I'm tempted to go and pick it up. Is anyone familiar with these models?
If it is a Sonex clone, that would be the first I've heard of one. I'd have to see pictures to determine whether it is, or something like perhaps a heavily modified LP copy...
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

El Degas stable as of 03/2022: 42 :shock: (13 bass, 26 electric, 3 acoustic)
Barry

Post by Barry »

Nope. Never seen one.
Pix are needed to comment, if you can get 'em. Otherwise, if the price is right and you like it, grab it!
"A little song, a little dance. A little seltzer down your pants." --Chuckles the Clown
M U S I C : http://getback.barryeames.com
G U I T A R S : https://legend.barryeames.com/
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

Better yet, buy, then take pics for us. Win-win!! :mrgreen:

What's the price?
I started ElDegas.com many years ago to help celebrate and inform about El Degas instruments. It all started with a used Ric 4000 bass copy I bought in circa 2000.

beattytg

Post by beattytg »

Ok, I got over today and got a little video clip of the guitar. They are asking 150. Someone started stripping the back of the guitar and the front finish is a little rough, I would likely finish stripping it and restore the original colour. It plays and sounds well. If I were getting it just for me it wouldn't matter... But I know me (lol). I'll get it, fix it up and then find something else I can't live without and sell it. The guard has some cracks but a little CA glue will solve that, everything is still there. Here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyr4fnyrzT8
beattytg

Post by beattytg »

Here are a couple stills
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

Pretty sure that's a copy of a Marauder. Not one of Gibson's more popular models, not entirely sure why ED copied it! But hey, it might be a good-un. You'd have to play it to be sure! :)

Barry

Post by Barry »

That's a new ED model on me. Interesting. Thanks for the pix!
"A little song, a little dance. A little seltzer down your pants." --Chuckles the Clown
M U S I C : http://getback.barryeames.com
G U I T A R S : https://legend.barryeames.com/
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

I think I've only seen that model once or twice before. I'd buy it for $100-150 if it played well.

beattytg

Post by beattytg »

It does play well and I liked the sound of it... I'm a sucker for rejuvenating old guitars. I doubt I'll make much money on it but I know I'll enjoy the process. It will come to about 170 with the taxes in..... too much? I felt it sounded quite Stevie Ray.
charles
Site Admin

Post by charles »

You doubt you'd make much on the tail end.

I'd be hard pressed to pay more than 200-250 for one even if it was in excellent condition.

I'd try to talk them down to $100-125 if the condition is poor and you have to put a lot of work into it.

beattytg

Post by beattytg »

You're probably right, if I wait a couple of weeks and it grows a little mold on the shelf perhaps I can work a deal down the road... as long as no one buys it out from under me. :x